Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Kickboxer 3: The Art of War (1992)



Yeah, I'm one of those who have no clue when he should stop. If I've watched one movie with kickboxing I need to watch 'em all! Today, for example, I ordered Bloodfist part 1 to 8! Why? Because I need to see them... and own them. Even if I hate them. I guess that's some kind of disease? This time the Kickboxer-franchise, Kickboxer 3: The Art of War, goes a bit further than just being about sports and into that lovely territory called low budget action. Sasha Mitchell is back as David Sloan and Dennis Chan is, once again, Xian, and this time they're battling an evil white slaver, who also happens to have an interest in kickboxing.

The story is set in Rio de Janeiro and David and Xian is going there for a tournament. But first they have seven days of training and relaxing. The first day learn to know a boy, a thief who steals David's camera, and his sister - and it won't take long until the white slaver himself, played excellently by Richard Comar, starts lusting for her. So he kidnaps her and forces David to fight against the most evil fighter around, Marcelo (Miguel Oniga) - and loose of course, so Comar (or his character's name is Lane actually) can earn a lot of money on him. Something like that. Anyway. People die. And stuff.

Oh, that was a shitty synopsis! But you get the idea what's this is all about: trying to expand the Kickboxer-universe to something more thaan just fighting in a ring - and that can be both good or bad. The movie itself isn't bad at all - for being what it is. It delivers some action - but very little fighting, except during the finale scenes of course - but most of it is running, chasing and a lot of very bloody squibs. Not sure that Sasha really fits in those parts of the story, because he still looks like someone from Scooby Doo. What's even more odd is how Xian suddenly shoots down baddies with a gun, without hesitation. Very out of character for a peaceful, smart middle-aged Thai who's suppose to be the kickboxing-version of Mr. Miyagi.

Kickboxer 3: The Art of War looks good and boasts a fun cast, but for having a title like The Art of War it has too little action, or at least excitement, to feel interesting. I like Sasha and the rest of the cast and those few action sequences there is isn't bad at all - they're gory and bloody and very violent, but hey... these movies are about action and not people talking to each other, so on that front it's a little bit disappointing. It also misses the many silly soft rock songs that's smeared over every second of non-action sequence in the first two movies. I need songs where a generic male rock-soul voice literary sings what's happening on the screen or in the mind of the tormented hero!

In the end, at least,  I wasn't bored. Kickboxer 3 is fun but misses that little extra (maybe the steady direction of Albert Pyun?). I hope part 4 or 5 gives me a better mix of generic sports drama and b-action. And if I'm not that bored with life I will watch them also very, very soon and scribble down a few worthless words about them here.

If you want to read about them, that is. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Yeah, I'm one of those who have no clue when he should stop. If I've watched one movie with kickboxing I need to watch 'em all! Today, for example, I ordered Bloodfist part 1 to 8! Why? Because I need to see them... and own them. Even if I hate them. I guess that's some kind of disease?."

No, goes to show that you want to expand your knowledge about one certain subgenre......you´re not alone, consider me as your second member of your club.



"Oh, that was a shitty synopsis! But you get the idea what's this is all about: trying to expand the Kickboxer-universe to something more thaan just fighting in a ring - and that can be both good or bad."

Yeah, but ring fighting can get very stale, boring, so some stuff outside the ring is ok I think.



"It also misses the many silly soft rock songs that's smeared over every second of non-action sequence in the first two movies. I need songs where a generic male rock-soul voice literary sings what's happening on the screen or in the mind of the tormented hero!"

Yeah....sometimes I wondered if this soft rock music replaced a voiceover....?



"In the end, at least, I wasn't bored. Kickboxer 3 is fun but misses that little extra (maybe the steady direction of Albert Pyun?). I hope part 4 or 5 gives me a better mix of generic sports drama and b-action."


It didn´t sound too exciting but then again, cheap b movie action from the 80´s......not supposed to be groundbreaking.



"If you want to read about them, that is."

Of course I do, that´s why I come here, also your blog(and your old blog) has become like genre film encyclopedia.....you should write a book ninja.

Good review, thanks ninja.


Megatron

Thomas T. Sueyres said...

You think that's bad? (OK, it is) You need to watch ENTER THE SHOOTFIGHTER with Michael Worth, Eric Lee, Matthias Hues, and Sam J. Jones! Awful movie, but you do get to see Jones playing a master kickboxer who never actually fights, Hues in harem pants, and Lee doing his usual comedy with shtick.